Tooth pain is a common cause for many patients to see their dentists. During your consultation or appointment, we’ll evaluate your specific symptoms and create a plan tailored to your needs. When possible, your natural tooth will be preserved. If an extraction is necessary, we will provide you with appropriate restorativeoptions to replace the extracted tooth.
Here are the most common symptoms and causes of tooth pain:
- Tooth decay: If tooth pain is persistent and worsens, it may be a sign of tooth decay. We commonly treat severe pain with a root canal.When possible, we will remove the inflamed tooth pulp before sealing the tooth with a more definite restoration.
- Abscessed Tooth: The cause of severe tooth pain, an abscessed tooth involves a bacterial infection in the center of a tooth. This infection may also spread to surrounding gum tissue and possibly bone.
- Sensitive Teeth: Sensitive teeth may react to hot, cold, or sweet foods and drinks. We recommend a toothpaste for sensitive teeth if the discomfort is minor.
- Jaw Pain: Jaw pain is often a sign of an underlying TMJ disorder. TMJ disorders contribute to tooth pain due to the pressure in the jaw joints when alignment or proper contact between teeth is an issue. This often causes unnecessary teeth grinding and wear.
- Painful Chewing: If you experience pain while chewing, a cracked tooth, loose filling, or broken crown could be to blame. Cavities are another common cause of tooth pain that occurs while chewing.