Night Guards in Frisco TX- FRISCO DENTAL ASSOCIATES FRISCO TX- 75034
Clenching or Grinding (Bruxism)
Clenching or grinding is a combination of physical, psychological and genetic factors
- Awake bruxism may be due to emotions such as anxiety, stress, anger, frustration or tension. Or it may be a coping strategy or a habit during deep concentration
- Sleep bruxism may be a sleep-related chewing activity associated with arousals during sleep
Signs and symptoms of clenching or grinding may include:
- Teeth that are flattened, fractured, chipped or loose
- Worn tooth enamel, exposing deeper layers of your tooth
- Increased tooth pain or sensitivity
- Tired or tight jaw muscles, or a locked jaw that won’t open or close completely
- Jaw, neck or face pain or soreness
- Pain that feels like an earache, though it’s actually not a problem with your ear
- Dull headache starting in the temples
- Damage from chewing on the inside of your cheek
- Sleep disruption
- Splints and Mouth Guards: These are designed to keep teeth separated to avoid the damage caused by clenching and grinding. They can be constructed of hard acrylic or soft materials and fit over your upper or lower teeth.
- Dental Correction: In severe cases — when tooth wear has led to sensitivity or the inability to chew properly — we may need to reshape the chewing surfaces of your teeth or use crowns to repair the damage.
- Medications In some situation, where the pain is progressive, sometimes medications can relieve pain and improve muscle function.
For a complimentary consultation